Hair, Skin and Nails
- April 5, 2018
- Posted by: Cutis
- Category: Knowledge Center
Skin is the largest organ in our body but most often than not, it is the most neglected part. On “World skin health day” here are a few common skin queries answered to help you achieve a healthy skin, nails and hair.
What are the common skin infections that occur and how to prevent them?
- The most common skin infections are- bacterial boils known as furuncle or folliculitis, fungal infections of the skin and viral infections such as molluscum and warts.
- Bath everyday: this helps in removing the sweat and sebum accumulation and preventing infections. If you are engaged in high intensity activitites or are prone to sweating then showering twice a day is a good idea.
- Do not share your towels, soaps and razors.
- Use dusting powders in the body folds, more so in the summer months.
How can I take care of my hair?
- It is recommended to wash your hair atleast on alternate days. Washing the hair often does not lead to graying or hair fall.
- Conditioners can be used to reduce the frizz in the hair and make it manageable.
How can I keep my nails healthy?
- Keep the nail trimmed and neatly cut always. The nails should be cut as a straight line and not be curved into the nail folds. If you notice persistent discoloration of the nail, please consult your dermatologist.
- Carry your own manicure kit when you go for manicure and pedicure kits to avoid cross transmission of infections. Do not cut the cuticles as they can damage the nails.
What can I use on my skin on regular basis?
Use of moisturizers and sunscreen on a day to day basis is highly recommended. Avoid using cream containing steroids on the face or your body without a proper prescription from a dermatologist. There is a surge of people using steroid creams for fairness and landing up in serious trouble afterwards. They may use it fter buying it over the counter or on recommendation of a friend. Do not use medicated creams unless they have been recommended to you by your dermatologist.
What should the diet be to achieve healthy skin and hair?
- Drinking around 2 to 3 liters of water is necessary per day for an adult. This helps in maintaining your body hydration level and hence a healthy skin and hair
- Eat a rainbow: make sure you take a generous helping of fruits and vegetables of different color everyday. Fruits are power house of micro nutrition and also keep you well hydrated. Munching on the fruits is always better than blending them- juices take away the fibers from the fruit. Vitamin C rich fruits such as orange, lemon & guava help in skin rejuvenation. Add a dose of protein in your diet by consuming a small bowl of sprouts every day to maintain a good hair.
Should sunscreen be used every day?
- Make sunscreen a regular habit- even if you are not stepping out for the day. It helps in keeping your skin younger and free of fine lines and wrinkles for longer. Apply sunscreen liberally every third hour in between 9AM to 4PM on all the exposed skin to prevent sunburn and tanning. Consult your dermatologist for the best sunscreen according to your skin type
What are the other ways to protect the skin from sun damage?
- Keep an oversized sunglasses with good UV protection in handy all times.
- Avoid being outdoors in the peak sunlight duration i.e from 11AM to 3PM and also try not to stay outdoor for more than half an hour in direct sunlight in this time period to prevent sun strokes.
- Use loose cotton or linen clothing, and also use scarves and wide brimmed hats as and when needed.
What are the diseases of skin affecting the mind of the person?
- Most of the skin diseases take a toll on the person’s psyche. The worst suffering is for the people affected by Vitiligo and Leprosy.
- People suffering from skin disorders are almost always depressed due to the discrimination faced by them not only from the society but also from their inner circle.
- Leprosy is a curable disease and does not spread just by contact. Treatment is available free of cost at government centers. Hence earlier detection of cases reduces the incidence of future complications. Any white patches occurring over the body with altered sensation of touch and pain should alert the person to seek treatment.
- Vitiligo is more of a social stigma rather than s disease. These white patches almost always are treated for the sake of cosmesis rather than medical reason.
- It is an earnest request to stop stigmatizing the patients with skin disorders and support them and help them receive proper therapy.
What are the common problems seen in the home makers?
- Contact dermatitis is the commonest ailment seen in women managing the household chores. They are exposed to a wide variety of chemicals and acids: detergents and chemicals in the washing powder, soaps and washes to the constant wet hands after working in the kitchen. It is very important to maintain the skin barrier in them. It is advisable to rinse off the detergents completely once the chore is done and apply either coconut or barrier repair cream on the hands to safe guard their hand and nails from contact dermatitis and fungal infections.
What is the most important thing for a good skin?
Healthy skin and healthy mind go hand in hand. Exercise and indulge in relaxation and meditation for an overall well being.
Happy skin is a happy you!!